Combination dies (or fluted dies as they are also called) are produced in brass and give the user the ability to foil and emboss in a single pass, thus saving operator time and make-ready.
To create the foil emboss you require a male/female die configuration featuring the brass die with a hard or soft counterforce.
There are a few benefits to using a combination die over two separate finishing dies:
- Only one die needs to be produced
- The hot foil blocking and embossing process is quicker (only one machine pass)
- The die will achieve a crisper finish due to registration
- Registration will be as near to perfect as it can be
- The die will be CNC engraved for the very best quality
- Brass dies are friendly to the environment (no chemicals are used during manufacture)
A Dies Direct Counterforce (or force plate), which is produced in-house at the same time as the die, will always be supplied with register holes and pins for perfect registration.
Fluted foiling can be used for most industries but it looks particularly good on pharmaceutical packaging, greetings cards and stationery.