Brass book spines are for the use of foil on book covers and spines. It is a traditional method going back over hundreds of years but still very common in today’s society. Using foil on books is a great way of drawing attention to your book in a crowded marketplace. It will make the product stand out on the shelf.
Using the right foiling die can make a big difference to the finished product. Our hot foil blocking partner always chooses brass for book covers and spines due to the advantages it holds over other metals:
- Brass can be deep machined to 3mm for use on softer substrates
- Good for all substrates
- Great at retaining heat
- Gives a sharp, high definition finish after foil transfer
- Ideal for bookbinders
- We use no chemicals during the making of a CNC brass die
- More cost-effective than copper
- Greater detail is achievable than using magnesium
As standard we etch brass book spines to 1.2mm but it can be deep machined to 3mm for softer or thicker substrates. Books are a great example of this, along with diaries, notebooks and luxury end packaging with thick stock.